It’s no secret that a large component of Sunrise Residential Treatment Center is the emphasis we place on teaching our students the value of selfless service. Currently a group of students, plus their families and our staff, are in Africa helping to build a women’s shelter. Follow us here to see photos and watch our progress.
Benefits of Selfless Service
We love the growth we see in the girls as they volunteer on a regular basis. Here are a few statistics about the benefits of community service in adolescents
- Youth who volunteer just one hour or more a week are 50% less likely to abuse alcohol, cigarettes, become pregnant, or engage other destructive behavior.
- Teens say the benefits received from volunteering are: Learning to respect others; learning to be helpful and kind; learning to understand people who are different; developing leadership skills, becoming more patient, and better understanding of citizenship.
- Youth who volunteer gain important job skills and experience, while exploring career options.
- Youth volunteers expand their social circle and enhance their social awareness.
- Youth who volunteer are more likely to do well in school, graduate and vote.
- Young people involved in community service are more likely to have a strong work ethic as an adult.
- Youth who volunteer are three times more likely to volunteer as adults.
Youth volunteering for their communities is a tremendous win-win situation for the young volunteers, the organizations and communities they serve. The benefits are reaped now, and in the future.
– written by Nicole Andra, Admissions Director